EAT

EAT

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why Buy What You Can Make Yourself... Seitan Pepperoni.

I really wanted some pepperoni pizza but didn't want to buy the sodium filled store bought vegan pepperoni slices. I had a recipe laying around that I made when I first became vegan and thought I'd give it another try. I've had a lot more practice making seitan since than and it turned out great. I'll post the pizza I made in another post sometime. Keep the MOFO going. 



Seitan Pepperoni

1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 Tablespoons cashew butter
2/3 cup water
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon Liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
few drops of red food coloring

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Put the cashew butter in a smaller bowl, and slowly mix in the water. Add the remaining wet ingredients to the small bowl and blend well. Pour wet mixture into the dry, stirring well. Remove from the bowl and knead for a few minutes, making sure the ingredients are distributed well. Add the food coloring and knead for a red tint. Roll into log, about 7 inches long. Place the log on foil and roll it up twisting the ends to seal. Bake for one hour and 15 minutes, turning over after 45 minutes. Slice as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment