EAT

EAT

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bananas, Bananas Everywhere... Banana Soup.

I found myself again with more bananas on hand then I can eat. This time I was thinking of maybe making a soup with them since it's getting colder outside. I know, banana soup sounds crazy but I didn't want to make something sweet with them. I did a little searching online and found that banana soup is made around the world and even sounds really tasty. This recipe is just something I threw together real fast but turned out to be something I'll definitely be making it again.
 


Banana Soup

1 cup onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 ripe bananas, sliced into thick rounds
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon chili paste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 lemon, zested
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 chile pepper, minced
Parsley for garnish


Heat the oil in a sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the bananas, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, green pepper, chili pepper and chili paste. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until caramelized, trying not to break up the banana too much though. Stir in the cumin. Deglaze the pan with the orange juice. Pour in the stock, let the soup come to a gentle simmer and cook for a few minutes. Add the coconut milk and lime zest, remove from heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment