EAT

EAT

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Time For A Cookout... Spicy Black Bean Burgers.

I've been wanting some burgers for awhile now and I finally got around to making some. There are quite a few ways to make vegan burgers and I went with the easiest, black beans. There are a lot of black bean burger recipes out there but I went with this one I came up with awhile back. Again I had to add some chili paste to this recipe because I'm really hooked on the stuff and spicy is always better.




Spicy Black Bean Burgers 

2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped 
1/4 cup yellow corn
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili paste
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add your onions, carrots, celery and green peppers. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, corn and stir for 1 minute. Remove vegetables from heat and set aside. In a bowl, mash half of the black beans. Add the other half of the intact black beans, the panko, and the vegetable mixture to the bowl. Stir to combine. Form the mixture into 2 large or 4 small patties. Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes at 450 F. The burgers will hold together but will be very delicate and even crumbly if handled to much so be careful. Just place them on a bun (I chose to use potato bread instead of buns). They go great with any garnish, I used roasted mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment