EAT

EAT

Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's time to party... Oatmeal Bean Chili.

Well today is my birthday, and I'm feeling old so my lovely girlfriend took me out. There is only one really great vegan friendly restaurant in Fayetteville, and it's my favorite. The Fresh Cafe is that place to go. Here's a link to their Facebook page check them out. Fresh Cafe I noticed they just shortened the store hours though and it kinda freaked out. I'm a little worried about the amount of business going there since the market for fresh vegan friendly food isn't that big here. It's has amazing food that I think about for days after eating there. The chili I had made me decide I had to share a chili recipe. Enjoy life.



Oatmeal Bean Chili

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow or red onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
One 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
One 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1 1/2 cup corn
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
2 cups vegetable broth
1 sliced jalapeno
1 chipotle pepper


Sauté the onion, pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, the chili powder and cumin. Add the tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, corn, and vegetable broth. Add oatmeal, sliced jalapenos, and chipotle. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and gently simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt if needed. If desired, add. fresh black pepper to taste.




Also a picture of the delicious cupcake cake my girlfriend made for me. It already has a few cupcakes missing I couldn't wait. The easiest way to make a cake mix vegan is to just add Sierra Mist in place of everything and bake. Thanks T.C. for the tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment